Thursday, April 28, 2011

INDIE Book Club: Delivering Happiness



Last Tuesday was the second installment of the Indie Biz Book Club (a group of fantastic women entrepreneurs - read about meeting number one here). We are reading Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh. First before I discuss the meeting, I just want to say that this book is an easy ready and totally inspiring. I was sucked into the story of Tony’s life and the beginning of Zappos. He started his first business at the age of 8!! When I was 8, all I cared about were Barbies and My Little Ponies, the last thing on my mind was starting a business.
Incredible.

The second installment of the book club meeting started with each of us sharing our favorite passage from part two of the book. I shared the following section from page 163
"We must all learn not only to fear change, but to embrace it enthusiastically and, perhaps even more important, encourage and drive it. We must always plan for and be prepared for constant change."
- this particular passage struck me because it is so true and also happens to be something I am currently working on accepting both in my life and in my business.


Part two of Delivering Happiness was incredibly interesting, Tony shares the evolution of the Culture Book, 10 Core Values and staying committed to the unique culture that has developed (which became the Zappos brand). We discussed delegating non-core tasks, knowing when to hire people, hiring good employees, working with interns, making sure you are looking at the big picture and the small picture. I am looking forward to the next section of our Biz Book Meeting: Profits, Passion, and Purpose

No comments: