Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baked Eggs for Dinner

(aren't these eggs pretty?? yes, they really are green, blue and brown!!)

Mister went out with the boys tonight so I was left to fend for myself. I usually love cooking big meals but tonight I just didnt feel like it. I decided I would do something simple, easy and delicious - which usually means I make some sort of egg dish. I love eggs. They are rich, easy and quick! A perfect main for busy nights. The eggs I used tonight come from my parents free range hens. They are so delicious and wonderful...yummm. Back to dinner - I ended up make a simple baked egg dish with toast sticks and a green salad. It sounds so sophisticated and French...until you have me try to say it in French "Oeufs Cocotte". The backwoods girl in me just cant get it right ;). My dinner inspiration came from She Wears Many Hats Basic Baked Eggs recipe.Baked Eggs (for one)
-2 free range eggs (recipe calls for one per person but that just doesn't cut it for me)-butter
-about 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
-pinch of salt
-pinch of pepper
-pinch of herbs de provence
-pinch of cayenne pepper
-2 slices sourdough bread cut into sticks
Preheat oven to 350F. Boil water. Grease small ramekin with butter, add two eggs cream and spices. Place ramekin in a baking dish and pour boiling water into the dish until it comes about halfway up the ramekin (make a water bath). Put in the oven and set timer for 15 min (my eggs came out slightly underdone which is how I like them for this dish). Toast bread. TA DA! That's it! Green Salad w/Dijon Mustard dressing
-1 small bunch green lettuce
-Olive oil, salt, pepper, organic dijon mustard, homemade apple cider vinegar (I do not have measurements for these because I totally eyeballed the dressing)

Clean lettuce and slice into 1 inch thick strips. Put about 2 tsp. vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, good squirt of mustard, dash of salt and pepper into a bowl or cup and whisk until thoroughly mixed.

No comments: